Saturday, September 12, 2009

I did it,

So, I made a promise to myself that I would try to run 10 miles before heading over the pond. I did it. Today. Jodie had to run 7 miles today for her training plan. I'm not following a specific plan, although I probably should be. I would run in front of Jodie, then at intersections turn around and run back to her, then run back to where I had left off. At first it was to check on her, since we were going through a sketchier part of town, and men are pigs. . . . After doing that a few times I figured I would have at least a mile on her after we were done. So when we got to the end of our loop, she was a ways behind me and I decided to keep going. Just another mile and a half. For some reason, that was the toughest mile and a half I have ever had to run. I did it though.

Any time I add some distance on to my runs I remember something my dad told me when I was trying to get into the Air Force.

Note: This is probably not exactly how it played out, but I am sure it is close.


Me: I just don't think I can run two miles without stopping
Dad: You know you can
Me: Nope, pretty sure I can't do it.
Dad: 90% of Americans can't even run a mile without stopping.
Me: Really?
Dad: Well, i'm sure it's close to that

Ok, so this may sound pretty conceited of me, or imperialistic. (Although, I am positive that is the wrong context for that word.) Big Headed, Self inflation of the ego. Whatever. So, any time I add another mile onto my distance I think to myself. "If 90% of Americans can't even run a mile, then how many can run (insert mileage here)? That makes me feel part of an elite, exclusive club.

Quick, somebody burst my bubble. . .

Wait, not yet, give me a few more days with these delusions of grandeur.


Get out there and run.

4 comments:

  1. Not gonna burst your bubble. I felt the same way when I started really running, and that was after 2 years of hating running, especially the two miles for a PT test.
    Now, I love the feeling I get when I tell people that I ran 6 miles this morning, or 25 miles for the week, or that I have finished two marathons.
    Plus, if you run in the mornings and get in a 4-6 mile most run, you have just done more than most people will do all day.
    You are part of a special club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way am I going to burst your bubble!! I'm so pleased, and so proud of you!! Oh yeah, you need to change your "about me" You are not an overweight guy anymore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I guess I should make a post about that. I forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 miles! holy crap dude! that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete