Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Church of Running

Today i'm going to borrow some thoughts from Steve Runner over at SteveRunner.com.

He believes his calling, and the calling of all runners. Be it from God, or some other higher being, is to inspire others to get out on the road with us and run. Maybe not literally right next to us, it could be anywhere. Just as long as they are running. He has a podcast that I have been listening to for about a week now. I could tell him he has fulfilled his calling on this planet, because he (and a number of other people) have inspired me to get out on the road more often.

So, maybe that is a subconscious reason for this blog. Hopefully I can inspire one person to get out there and do what we are born to do, and that is run. I talk about my running all of the time. At work, at home, on the internet with various social networking sites, and this blog. In hopes that one person may stumble across one of my posts, or overhear me talking, and it might get them out there with nature.

That is another thing I so love about running. It is just me and nature out there. Also, if it is early enough, and the sky is clear, I can see plenty of stars. More than you might think, being on the outskirts of a city. It makes me feel at one with the planet. Call me a geek, but I really dig that.

This morning, I added a little to my normal route. I thought it would get me close to 9 or 10 miles. It didn't, it barely added a mile and a half to my usual path. So, I added some more onto it at the end. I ended up doing 8 miles exactly. It was a great run. I felt great, no major aches or pains, and it was down in the mid 50's.

I am adding another race to my schedule. On Labor Day in Rogers, Arkansas, is the Run for a Child 5K or 10K. I am leaning towards the 10k. We'll see, I hope the weather cooperates!

Until next time, get out there and run!

No comments:

Post a Comment