Thursday, October 1, 2009

Frustration. . . .

Well, the past two days, I tried out the "nature/running trail" here on base. I don't know if it was the difference in temperature from when I am used to running, or the fact that I was running in sand, or both. But I was dying. I struggled to get 3 miles in on that trail. I was dripping sweat like crazy. I got pretty frustrated with my performance. I ended up with another mile or so on the sidewalks. I kept my pace pretty good I think. I guess that is a good thing that I was able to do that on a trail setting. I was sniffing around some of the Manas websites, and I found a map with 5/10k distances drawn up. I went out there today to give it a shot. I don't know who measured that, but they were wrong. Unless they meant two laps. Which actually, I tried, but had to stop in walk. I barely finished 4 and a half miles. This place is killing me. I'm not sure what the elevation is, but I am certain it's not that much different than Kansas. So that isn't my problem. I think it may be having to wear this suffocating Air Force PT gear. Whoever decided to make the shirts a polyester/cotton blend rather than 100% cotton should be forced to wear this stuff in the same places we do. But I digress. I need to get behind this running block I am having. I may have to start running in the morning again, after work. I'm not sure if that will effect my sleep or not. I may try that next week and see how I do with it.


I am still up in the air about the Vibrams. One thing I hated about running the trail was after only about a mile I already had sand in between my toes. The Vibrams i'm thinking about getting are the KSO's, which stands for "Keeps stuff out". That is pretty appealing to me after getting sand everywhere. Also, the upper portion of them are made of neoprene, and I am hoping that, with socks, they might be fairly warm in the winter time.

Until next time.

Get out there and run!

3 comments:

  1. It may take awhile, but you will find the time, the routes, etc. that will feel right to you. Just keep trying - you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the Air Force for you.. : ) I still run in and enjoy my ARMY PT t-shirts from 15 years ago...(I also struggled making weight and passing PT tests so I know your pain..)
    Trail running does take some getting used to. Depending on the surface your trail times will never add up to your road times, but the blessings dirt will bring will more than make up for it. Keep us updated on the KSO's I've been hesitant to buy the Vibrams because I wasn't sure how they'd be on dirt/rocks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do fine. I had the same problem here, and it almost exactly the same altitude as my home. It's more mental than anything, and you will push through. Just try to think of other things than how unappealing the scenery is. You have a perfect place to work on sprints, interval training, and see if you can get someone to listen to you about trails. They should not be soft sand. Firm, dirt packed earth, or small rock base. Yes, sand sucks...unless you are on beach...and your reward at the end of the run is a drink with a little umbrella in it.

    ReplyDelete