Thursday, October 8, 2009

WWFoR. . .

This weekend is the World Wide Festival of Races. I am gettting excited. I found another guy here who is a runner, and was interested in the race. He signed up for the Half Marathon. Then that got me thinking. I had signed up for the 10k. Should I try for the half? Well, this morning when I was running I decided that if I was going to try for the half this weekend, I should at least run 10 miles. And I did. It felt great. I hope Steve and everyone at WWFoR won't mind if I decide to do that.

I have started up a running club for my squadron here. Kind of short notice for lots of people, and pretty early for most of them too. I don't think I will be having many people out there with me. My lead tech here with me has been coming out to run with me. The first day out he managed to hang with me, running at my roughly 8:30 min/mile pace, for 3 miles. I was pretty impressed since he didn't run a whole lot previously. A few days later, he came out with me again, saying he knew he couldn't go much further than he had two days prior. I thought to myself, "We'll see about that." I figured I would try and test his motivation/drive or what-have-you. Any time he asked how far we went, I lied a little. I told him we hadn't gone as far as we actually had. I was going to get him to 4 miles. At 3 and a half, he said he was done. I told him that if he could make it another half of a mile, he would have gone 4 miles. He called me some names with some choice words sprinkled in there, but he kept going. He was elated when he finished too. He said I was still a bastard, but that he appreciated what I had done. I felt good that I had succesfully pushed him further than he thought possible.

I told him something my father told me many times growing up. "It takes doing something 28 times to make it a habit." So he is determined to run 28 times, to try and make running a habit. I will be with him every day too, to help him along. Just doing my duty in this world, as a runner.


Get out there and Run!

1 comment:

  1. Parker - I'm so proud of you. If you can do 10, you can do the half, I'm sure. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete